Charles Darwin Community Primary School was built in 1910 to provide education for junior boys aged seven and above; the girls were educated at the nearby Castle Girls’ School. In 1961 the two schools amalgamated and, in the early 1970s, an infant department was created with the closure of the nearby Park Street Infant School.
Although the original building is over 100 years old, the interior reflects the basic philosophy of the school, providing a visually stimulating and exciting environment in which pupils can learn and grow both aesthetically and academically. There are fourteen classrooms in the main building and extension. With a hall that is used for assemblies, PE, drama, movement and also for dining. The school has a large field and playground area too.
Providing the best possible opportunities for all of our pupils to succeed is always our number one priority and our exceptional staff are the key to this. We have two classes in every year group, each with a teacher and a teaching assistant enabling the pupils to have the best possible opportunities to achieve their full potential.
Our Community is a very special one. The children represent a cross section of the community; they are enthusiastic, lively and exceptional to work with for a whole variety of reasons. Their families support them very well and we appreciate and value all the support the school receives.